Welcome to Symmetry Physical Therapy!
Common Sports Injuries
Participation in sports is a vital part of an active, healthy lifestyle. Sports participation is good for respiration, heart health, and muscular strength. In a perfect world, playing sports would provide plentiful health and recreational benefits without any negative risks or drawbacks. Unfortunately, this is not the case. People make contact with the ground, trip and fall, twist the wrong way, and injuries occur as a result. This fact should not deter one from playing sports. Vigilance and being careful are key. However, if you do suffer a sports-related injury, you schedule a consultation at Symmetry Physical Therapy. At ACL Rehab Pelham NY, we are experts in rehabbing sports injuries and making our patients whole again.
Most Common Sports Injuries
- Broken bones- broken bones are caused by sudden force applied to the bone. Also called a bone fracture, this can happen in almost any sport. You may notice symptoms such as swelling, tenderness, numbness, and an inability to move the area.
- Patellar tendinitis- also known as jumper’s knee, this injury occurs when the tissue that connects the thigh and knee to your shinbone is injured and inflamed. Activities with repetitive jumping commonly trigger this injury. Knee pain below the kneecap and weakness when jumping and climbing are common symptoms,
- Strains- a strain occurs when your tear or stretch muscles due to overextension. Repetitive motion is the cause of milder strains. Sudden pain followed by a limited range of motion is the usual symptom of a strain. Severe cases will include some swelling and bruising.
How To Prevent or Avoid Injuries
The best thing you can do to help prevent injury is stretch before participating in sport. Staying hydrated and making sure to wear the correct protective gear for your sport are things you should be doing as well. Have a few cups of water before you start, and then try to have a cup 20 minutes after to maintain hydration.
ACL Rehab Pelham NY
Participating in sports is a great way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. With activity comes a risk of injury. If you do injure yourself schedule a consultation with ACL Rehab Pelham NY. Our experts will have you on the fast track to full strength once again.
This remarkable procedure allows us to detect and treat areas of “scar tissue” or adhesions in muscles, tendons, and ligaments that can lead to pain and dysfunction.
In the healing process, our body attempts to repair muscles, tendons, and ligaments with “scar tissue”, much like the scar that forms on the skin when you have scraped or banged your knee. As you can imagine, that scar tissue is not as strong and flexible as normal, healthy, undamaged tissue. Over time we can have a build-up of this fibrous scar tissue, particularly in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that get a lot of use. This can lead to pain and dysfunction because this replacement tissue lacks the strength and flexibility of healthy tissue.
The Graston Technique® allows us to better detect and treat these areas because it uses a stainless steel instrument that glides along with a patient’s muscle, tendons, or ligaments and acts like a “scar tissue” stethoscope. When knots or bands of scar tissue are encountered, both the doctor and the patient sense a restriction or a granular feeling. The instrument can then be used to “break up” this restriction or adhesion. Stretching exercises are then used to promote re-alignment of the fibers so that they behave more like normal, healthy tissue.
The benefit of the Graston Technique® is not only in the detection of restrictions or adhesions but also in the amount of improvement that takes place in a short amount of time.
ACL Rehab Pelham NY
Symmetry Physical Therapy Purchase NY provides our patients, business associates, insurers, and employers, quality, cost-effective, outcome-oriented rehabilitation services. We strive to efficiently return our patients to the workforce, the playing fields, and the independent lifestyle they are accustomed to. Also, we empower our patients with skills in self-management, injury prevention, and the assumption of personal responsibility in the active care of their injury or condition.
We are committed to providing focused, individualized care for each patient to ensure an optimal outcome. We take a team-based approach to care, drawing on the skills of a group of talented therapists with specialized skills who are able to deploy a range of therapies to address each patient’s needs. The size of our practice allows for a perfect balance – small enough to provide personalized care, but with sufficient scale to offer services that are affordable.
If you never had to go to physical therapy before, you may be unsure if you want to give it a try. There is a multitude of benefits physical therapy Purchase NY can provide. Symmetry Physical Therapy can help you get back on the field faster and get you to be the person you once were before!
Benefits of Physical Therapy
When a person gets an injury, the first thought in most people’s heads is to rest the injured area until it feels better. However, that’s not always the case! Some movement can help prevent the muscle from stiffening up and strengthen it. With the help of a professional physical therapist, you can get back to enjoying the things you love the most! Here are some benefits that Physical Therapy Purchase NY can offer:
- Improve movement and function: With the guidance of a physical therapist, they can help you perform a light exercise and simple stretching to improve flexibility faster than just waiting at home.
- Reduce pain: Symmetry Physical Therapy offers several different services to help manage any discomfort you may have. Our staff is trained in the Graston Technique, Kinesio Taping, massage therapy, and Radial Shockwave Therapy. The technique that will be offered to you depends on the injury you have.
- Avoid surgery: If left untreated, some injuries can become worse and require surgery to heal correctly. Physical Therapy Purchase NY is proven to treat various conditions, including meniscal tears and rotator cuff tears.
- Prevent injury: If you were injured previously or at risk of getting an injury, physical therapy could prevent future injuries. At Symmetry Physical Therapy, we offer stride gait analysis to ensure that you’re exercising with as little risk as possible.
Contact Symmetry Physical Therapy Today!
We’re committed to providing you a personalized physical therapy program unique to your situation. If you have a sports injury, give us a call! To learn more about the services we offer and to make an appointment, contact us on our website!