Muscle strains are a result of exercise or trauma to the muscles. They involve damage to muscle fibers, either partially or completely ruptured, resulting in pain and swelling during movement. Initially, muscle strains may feel like a pulled muscle with spasms after workouts. Then over time, they will become more painful when touched or stretched, which increases inflammation around the injured area. Contact Symmetry Physical Therapy for Massage therapy Pelham NY today!
Benefits of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is a great way to treat muscle strains, which helps increase blood flow and relax the muscles while reducing the pain associated with strained muscles. It can also help prevent further injury to the muscle during intense workouts or daily activities.
Here are five massage techniques you should try if you have a muscle strain for Massage therapy Pelham NY:
- Effleurage: this is a long, gliding stroke with the hands where you would place them flat on top of each other and glide your hands together. You can do it vertically or horizontally over the muscle being worked on. This technique will help decrease pain and increase blood flow.
- Petrissage: This involves kneading or pinching the muscle with your fingers and hands to help relieve tension.
- Tapotement: this is a percussion massage technique where you use an open hand, fist, or knuckles to tap on the muscles to help relax them. It relieves pressure in the muscle and reduces pain associated with swelling that may be present.
- Trigger Point Therapy involves applying pressure to an isolated small area of the muscle that may be tight and knotting up due to inflammation, injury, or another type of discomfort.
- Muscle Energy Techniques: this requires you to place your hands on the outside of the injured muscles and then push and pull with gentle and even force to stretch the muscle. It’s a very mild, slow type of stretching that should not be painful.
Symmetry PT – Massage Therapy Pelham NY
These techniques should help you decrease pain and tension in your muscles while increasing your range of motion and flexibility. They can all be done without an appointment or therapist with just a little bit of research on the internet or at your local library. You can also use many of these techniques at home before or after exercising to prevent injuring muscles in the future. Contact Symmetry PT for Massage therapy Pelham NY today!