What Are Common Knee Injuries?
Your knee is a lot more complex than you can even begin to realize. Holding the weight of your entire body on just a few bones and joints is the foundation of the way that we move throughout the day. This makes your knee extremely vulnerable to injury; some common knee injuries are fractures, dislocations, sprains, and ligament tears. At Symmetry Physical Therapy, we strive to efficiently return our patients to their jobs, the playing field, and the lifestyle they are used to. We want to empower our patients with skills in pain management, injury prevention, and personal responsibility in the care of their injury or condition. If you need Knee Injury pt Bronxville NY contact our professional and experienced team.
What Is a Knee Fracture?
A knee fracture is when bones of the knee are broken during falls or even car accidents. Also, people who have osteoporosis can sometimes have a knee fracture simply by stepping the wrong way.
What Is a Knee Dislocation?
A dislocated knee is when the femur and the tibia are completely disconnected. A dislocated knee is fairly uncommon, but it can be potentially serious, and one should not try to reposition it without the help of a professional.
What Is a Knee Sprain and Ligament Tear?
A knee sprain is an injury of the ligaments, tough bands of fibrous tissue that connect the bones of the upper and lower leg at the knee joint. The knee has four major ligaments; ACL, PCL, MCL, and the LCL.
When To Get Treated For These Common Knee Injuries?
If you start to experience any of the following symptoms, you should seek professional guidance:
- sudden, intense pain
- difficulty walking/popping sounds/instability/weakness
Treatment For These Common Knee Injuries
- A stable fracture is when the knee will stay in place and heal on its own
- A displaced fracture is when the bone is broken and will need surgery
- An open fracture is when the bone breaks through the skin, and surrounding tissue is damaged, surgery is needed
- Your doctor might try some gentle stretching to help get your bones back into position.
- After your bones are back in their normal position, the doctor may try to put your joint in a splint or sling for several weeks.
- Unfortunately, you may need surgery to fix any major issue that has occurred.
Knee Sprain or Ligament Tear:
- A mild to moderate knee ligament injury may heal on its own in time.
- To speed up the healing process post-surgery, you should rest the knee as often as possible, avoid putting heavy weight on it and pressure of any kind.
- I am also using ice, compression, elevation, and pain relievers.
- Doing muscle-strengthening exercises and wearing a protective brace will help with recovery.
Knee Injury PT Bronxville NY
Although these are all common knee injuries, they can lead to more serious issues if not treated by a professional. You should keep an eye out for any pain that you may experience. Even if you feel that it is “nothing,” it could turn into something. Symmetry Physical Therapy will always be there to help you through this process! Contact us for Knee Injury pt Bronxville NY.